Friday, August 2, 2013

Ombre

What the Heck is Ombre?


I recently jumped on the latest fashion bandwaggon and had the bottom half of my hair 'stripped' of color to create the ombre effect. Trust me... it's what all the cool people are doing.

This got me thinking. Where did the name 'ombre' come from? If you've Googled, you may have come across the Spanish translation, which is 'man' or the name of a popular three-handed card game.  A little further investigating and I discovered this word is actually of French origin and means 'having colors or tones that shade into each other - used especially of fabric in which the color is graudated from light to dark.'

...and now you know.

In case you're wondering if Ombre is still 'in,' according to Cosmo, it's all about the REDs this season. Looks like I will stay a step behind in the fashion world! Hopefully one day my daughters will help me be less of a lost cause. Until then, I plan to embarass the hell out of them at ever opportunity.

Btw - for those brave enough to try dying your hair Ombre at home, the trick is to TEASE the hair before you apply the color. This will create the 'blended' look between light and dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment